Friday, August 26, 2016

"What Will You Write?"


This is probably the most frequent question that people have asked me since I've started talking about wanting to write.  It's a fair question, and one I've been thinking about a lot as well.  I don't completely know yet, but my ideas are starting to take more definite shape.  I may not know entirely until it happens, and that's okay.  Even my first blog post looks different now than it did when I was imagining it before I wrote it.  I think that just happens when you write.  The words take on a mind of their own and flow together a certain way, and you know when it clicks.  That's what I love about writing.  Watching it all come together, and when it does- well it just looks effortless.  It's beauty.

Anyway, here are some of my ideas.  I love to write poetry, short stories, stories about all of life's journeys, stories that challenge.  I'd eventually like to turn some of my short stories into longer novels, and if I find some that I really like, maybe even a series.  I've recently found myself becoming more and more interested in writing children's novels.  But these are all just ideas.  The fun part is it can take any direction.

As I was writing the other day (starting another chapter in my first project, a collection of short stories), I realized that I can create worlds and people just the way I want them to be.  There is so much negativity in the news every single day that sometimes it can start to skew our perspective and we only see, and therefore emulate, all of that negativity back again.  But to create a world filled with people who experience love in a powerful way, who grow through their challenges and experiences, who have something to offer.  Now that changes everything.

Not to say that it will all be just fluff.  But it's a different paradigm, a positive way of seeing the world despite all of the setbacks.  Characters full of flaws, heartache, opportunity for growth.  Characters whose lives remind you of why life is so worth living.

4 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like fluff to me... Sounds like good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. I try to check in every other day to see if you've posted anything new. A piece of advice I got from Tim O'brien was that when trying to figure out what to write your subject material isn't as important. He told me the way your writing ends up good is rewriting it over and over. You'll end up at the point that no matter what, it's the best version of whatever you're writing. It sounds like you're going to be great. Don't get discouraged. You'll persevere and put out amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacob! I like the revision stage when you finally get it to the point where you just know it works. It makes all those words and sentences you cut worth it. I'm going to try to post at least once or twice a week on here, so hopefully there will be something new for you to see when you check it out!

      Delete