Friday, July 12, 2019

Strange Summer


This has been the strangest summer that I've experienced since we moved to Colorado nine years ago. It was rainy and cloudy throughout almost the entire month of June, which is usually hot and sunny by that point. Then in early July, we got hit with the biggest hail storm I've ever seen in my life. I'm talking big enough to shatter our neighbor's solar panel and leave holes in the side of our house.

And the whole time it just didn't quite have that laid-back summertime feel. The feeling I usually get when summer arrives—like the lazy days of summer endlessly stretch out past the horizon and there's nowhere to go and nothing to do. And yes, I know that part of it was because I chose to host the Tadpole Press Writing Retreat the last weekend of June. I've hosted writers conferences before, but this was the first time I've done the whole thing by myself.

It was a tremendous amount of work, but so, so worth it. I am incredibly grateful for how engaged everyone was who showed up. And even though I was nervous about giving my presentations a day or two beforehand, by the time I was actually speaking, I felt calm and centered. And I found out that I really enjoy public speaking when I can talk about things I find interesting and just share ideas.

Anyway, this is just a short note to say my blog is going on vacation! Summer may be half over, but I'm diving in! I don't know about you, but I am truly ready for those endless days of summer, some rest, and some sunshine. May you all get the downtime you need. See you in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment