Tuesday, August 23, 2016

An Invitation


Welcome to my new blog!  You are invited to join me on my journey to becoming an author, and this is the first step.  By following my blog, you get to watch me pursue my goal to transform from a burnt out attorney to an inspired writer.  Basically, you get an inside scoop, a front row seat to my life throughout this next transition.

How did we get here?  This has been a long time coming.  A really long time.

When I was 10 years old, I either wanted to be an astronaut, the president, or an author when I grew up.  Mostly I wanted to be an astronaut so I could do backflips on the moon.  I was in gymnastics and struggling to learn back handsprings here on earth, so I figured it would be easier to do it if I had a little less gravity.  Hence, my dream to become an astronaut.  Well, eventually I figured out how to do backflips here on earth, and this dream quickly faded. 

My interest in being the president was simply because I found out that the United States had never had a woman as a president, so I figured it was time that changed and I might as well do it.  Not that I really knew much about what the job required, or had any inherent interest in it.  Once I learned more about it, I quickly realized that I wasn't cut out for politics. 

However, an author.  Now that is something that has stuck with me my entire life.  As a child, I wrote and illustrated short stories.  I loved to read and explore all the stories in the library.  In college, my favorite classes, and the classes I did the best in, were the creative writing courses.  When deciding to pursue graduate school, I chose law school because I thought it was the best fit for my writing and analytical abilities.  Since then, most of my writing has been legal motions, memoranda, briefs, and court orders.  My reading for fun time has waned off and on throughout my legal career, and has just recently started to increase again thanks to a good friend.  Now that I am at a crossroads in my career, I am going back to that old dream.  The one that just won't quit.

Maybe I won't make it as an author.  Maybe I won't enjoy writing when it becomes my career.  And if that happens, then I can always decide to pursue something else later.  But for now, it feels good to finally give this dream my full attention.  To live my life the way I've always imagined.


12 comments:

  1. Officially bookmarked. Best of luck in all your endeavors, write until your fingers ache and your head splits and then write some more. No matter how many people read what you have, the world is a better place for every piece of art in it. I'll be waiting for each of your contributions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jacob! Your comment is so eloquent; it brought tears to my eyes! You just summed everything up perfectly. I've just started the first piece I'll be working on, and I love it already. I am so excited to meet the characters I'm creating and I can't wait to share them all with you once it's all down on paper.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you will inspire others to follow their own passions and dreams. I am excited to hear of your new path and even more excited to read your blog, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corie! You are always inspiring me with your biking, photography, and all things amazing on a mountain. Let's be inspired and inspiring together!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! It was always so fun reading your old blog, it will be great to have you read mine now too.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy for you that you're actively pursuing and fulfilling your dreams. I remember when you first started teaching yourself to read at the tender age of three as you'd follow the words rather than the pictures in the books I would read you. I love everything about words from the designs they make in typesetting to their content and meaning in the myriad forms they take. Wishing you all the best as you explore this latest path in your life journey! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all Mom, I have to say congrats on figuring out the technological aspects of posting your comment on here! It's great when it works, isn't it? Second, I had no idea that I started following along with the words, as opposed to the pictures, you were reading when I was 3. I really should have started this venture sooner!

      Delete