Monday, January 23, 2017

The Poet's Dog


Do you ever read a book that meets you where you are and matches your mood exactly?  That's what happened this week with The Poet's Dog by Patricia MacLachlan.  It is a short, sweet story of a dog, a boy, and a girl tucked away in a cabin for several days during a snowstorm.  By the first paragraph, I was pulled into their quiet snowstorm.  The rhythm matched my own energy.  The words matched my own thoughts.  It felt as though I was transported right to a mountainside cabin during a blizzard.  When contact with the outside world slows, and you curl up inside by the fire to stay warm.  And safe.  It's peaceful, but also surreal, and you know it's just a temporary calm, a moment far away from the rest of your life.  Even my normally quick pace slowed down as I read the words in the book.  And that pace stayed with me in other books I've read.  No rush.  Just calm, steady movement as I let the words soak in.  That's where I've been.  There's not a lot more to say about it, but I wanted to share it with you anyway.

Image result for poet's dog

4 comments:

  1. It's been a minute since I've had a book trule take me somewhere like that, but Katie has really increased her book intake lately. I even get excited just hearing her talk about how engrossed she gets in her books. It's amazing to hear her talk about where her curent story takes her. And even though I haven't read a new book lately, she reads a book every week and relays it's effects to me. It's the cheapest trip you can take

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Jacob! I love that - "It's the cheapest trip you can take." So true! Tell Katie I'd love to hear any recommendations of books she really loves...

      Delete
  2. I always enjoyed Emily Dickinson's poem, "There is No Frigate Like A Book."
    There is no Frigate like a Book
    To take us Lands away
    Nor any Coursers like a Page
    Of prancing Poetry –
    This Traverse may the poorest take
    Without oppress of Toll –
    How frugal is the Chariot
    That bears the Human Soul –

    ReplyDelete