Friday, January 18, 2019

My Interview on Denver 9News - Colorado and Company


I did my first TV interview for Sophie and Spot on January 3rd with Denise Plante on Colorado and Company, a fun segment on Denver 9News. I was excited and nervous, and so pleased with how it turned out. If you missed the live event, you can still catch the recorded interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uprZ7lZ_v4

We ran out of time before we got to all of the questions, but Ill share the last question below for those of you who are interested.

What inspired you to become an author?

Back  in November 2016, right after the presidential election, Lafayette had two local stores vandalized, including racial epithets written on the back of Las Montañas Market. It felt like such a shock that our calm little community could experience something so hateful. And I realized that Im never going to be able to make the kind of change that I want to make in the world through a legal career. But Im a writer and a storyteller in my core, and I can use my art to raise my voice and envision the kind of world that I want to see and live in.

So creating a family and a world where gay fathers are accepted, and its not something that has to be questioned or explained, was my way of pushing back against what can sometimes feel like an overwhelming current of hate and say, Thats not me. That doesnt define me. It was also a really powerful way of visualizing how to move forward through the hate and negativity, and to picture exactly what I want my world to look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment