Friday, February 17, 2017

A Few Words to Share with You Today


(c) Amber Byers

I wrote this saying a few months ago, in a card to our local ice cream shop and Mexican grocery store after someone threw a brick through the ice cream shop window and wrote racial epithets on the grocery store's walls.  A note to say we're glad you're in our community.  A note to say those acts don't represent us, they don't define our community.

I thought of it again yesterday, in light of the protests occurring around the country.  So it seemed like a good time to share these words with you, my dear blog readers, and the greater community in general.

While this isn't directly on point as to how my book is coming along or thoughts on my career transition, it is on point as to my journey as a writer.  Part of that journey is understanding that words have power.  The words we write, the words we say, the words we keep to ourselves.  They make a difference in the lives of those around us.

I want to use my words to instill a sense of calm, of hope, of community.  To remind us of the beauty of diversity.  To encourage us to support, love, and inspire one another.  So I decided to share these few words with you here as a late Valentine's present to say thanks for being in my world and let's take care of each other in any way we can.

#ADayWithoutImmigrants  #HappyValentines  #LoveAlwaysWins

No comments:

Post a Comment