Thursday, May 17, 2018

You Are Right Where You Need To Be


For the second year in a row, I’m taking the summer off. Minimizing my work and taking a break. Similar to what I experienced last year, I have felt frantic and overwhelmed the past few weeks as I try to wrap everything up ahead of time. I felt like I wasn’t where I needed to be with my editing business, my book (it’s still not published!), and I even started to feel behind in my career as a writer. Yes, this relatively new career. I started thinking about all of the things that I haven’t done yet and started feeling really behind. So it was definitely time to slow down and focus on what is happening right here, right now. For in the end, that’s all we really have, isn’t it?

I woke up early this morning, around 5 a.m., and started thinking about what I needed to do today, how maybe I should write a blog post about being in the moment. Then my cat jumped on my bed and told me to just live in the moment (i.e. snuggle and pet him) instead of write about living in the moment. So I did.

When he jumped down, the sun was just starting to peek over the horizon so I went for a walk by the creek in the quiet calm before the day begins. It has been snowing cottonwood fluff all week, swirling down in lazy currents and collecting in big balls on the ground, but I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to walk along the creek path and watch the fluff come down. Until this morning.

And what I discovered was not what I was expecting. I didn't see any cotton snowing down, but I did discover song birds chorusing their greetings, fields of dandelions blooming, and the first rays of golden sun touching the earth. Dewdrops on blades of grass soaked my toes as I walked. It was beautiful and reminded me that while I may not be where I had hoped to be, I am right where I need to be. Every challenge is an opportunity. It does not delay the path, but is simply part of the path. And no matter where we are, it is right where we are supposed to be. And it will change. It will all change. Goodbye, spring. Hello, summer.



 
(c) Amber Byers



2 comments:

  1. In case anyone is wondering, the cottonwood fluff in the first picture is on my patio from last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As cool as that cottonwood looks... I think I'm becoming allergic to it. Too bad we can't ski on it.

    ReplyDelete