Thursday, October 6, 2016

Choosing a Name


Generally one of the most time consuming parts of my writing so far has been coming up with the names for my characters.  Last week I spent hours researching possible names and nicknames for characters, and the week before that I spent an hour trying to figure out this name in my head that sounded like Charlotte but wasn't Charlotte so I could call this character Char.  She's not even the main character in the story right now, and may not even grow into a bigger role down the road, but I still had to name her.  That's what's crazy in writing.  Every single person I write about has to be named.  And usually it is painstakingly slow.

I want names that are unique, beautiful, and easy to pronounce in your head as you read.  I especially love names that are all that, plus are either gender neutral or names that are used for an uncommon gender. 

As I researched names on multiple baby naming websites, I came across a fabulous discovery.  Most of the baby naming websites are summarizing information from the Social Security Administration's databank of names to create their own graphs of name popularity and add details about the meaning of names, etc.  The best part is that the SSA itself has a website that lists the names of all babies born in a particular year - dating back to 1880 - and includes the top 1000 names for each gender.

When I started looking through the names back in 1880, I came across a lot of gender switching names.  And by that, I mean that a lot of the names that we commonly use now for girls were common for boys back then, and vice versa.  Yes, most boys were named William or Charles and most girls were named Anna or Margaret.  But after that, I found a lot of names that I didn't expect to find on one or both lists.

For the boys:
Marion
Jessie
Sidney
Leslie
Alva
Pearl
Elisha
Allie
Lynn
Mary
Carroll
Jordan
Aubrey
Elliott
Dee
Addison
Sandy
Frances
Alma

And those are just the names that were in the top 500.  Starting with number 529, there's Anna, then
Bailey
Beverly
Clair
Dana
Jean
Sydney
Finley
Lindsey
Emma
Terry
Avery
Elizabeth
June
Lacy
Minnie
Addie
Ashley
Carrie
Clara
Clare
Ida
Shelby
Connie
Jennie
Lindsay
Rose
Vivian
Annie
Cora
Dora
Drew
Eliza
Elsie
Ethel
Hattie
Hope
Jessee
Nellie
Reese
Ruby
Sammie
Stacy
Tracy
Augusta
Daisy
Edith
Flora
Hayden
Ivy
Jewel
Jodie
Katherine
Kelly

For the girls' list, there are fewer names that are more commonly used as a boy's name today, which is interesting since it seems that today girls are more likely to adopt a gender switching name than boys.

Willie
Francis
John
William
Alpha
George
James
Donnie
Vinnie
Ira
Clyde
Frank
Charles
Henry
Robert
Claude
Joseph
Fred
Johnnie
Ray
Thomas
Walter
Clarence
Hedwig
Theo
Clifford
Harry
Leo
Arthur
Edgar
Glenn
Joe
Louis
Charlie
Dave
David
Dean
Earl
Edward

Some of the names on these lists have already become common unisex names, and some are still evolving.  I think it is really interesting that Ida was more common as a boy's name than Justin in 1880.  And John was more common as a girl's name than Olivia or Agatha in 1880.  It is liberating as a writer, too, because it makes me realize just how much names and their associated genders fluctuate over time.

I think most people tend to let the first person they meet with a certain name define their expectations for anyone else with that name.  So if you meet a girl Kelly first, you might be surprised to hear a boy named Kelly.  It's the same thing with how to spell a name.  If you meet someone who spells their name Jordyn, you might assume that every other person with that name will spell it the same way.  Once you know someone with a different name or a different spelling, it expands your horizons.

On another note, I have to point out a few other interesting categories from the SSA name database. There were quite a few girls named after states in 1880 - think Florida, Arizona, Tennessee, and Texas.  Whereas there were quite a few boys named after cities - for example, Denver, Ballard, Arlington, and Lafayette - and even colors - such as Green and Pink.

And for anyone who has read Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller series, you might enjoy learning that Ambrose was a popular name back in 1880.  As soon as I read that name, I immediately thought of Ambrose in The Name of the Wind.

Oh, and as for that character that I spent so long deciding her name - it ended up being Charmaine.  Which fit perfectly with what I was thinking in my head.  She can still be Char for short, like with Charlotte.  It's not really a gender switching name, but it is rather uncommon, beautiful, and hopefully easy to pronounce when you read.  Who knows, now that I've got her name figured out, maybe I'll give her a little bit of a bigger role in that story.

4 comments:

  1. Names are fascinating. And important. Many cultures in fact and fiction are very secretive and protective of their names. Understandably so. Names hold great power and symbolism and aid in identification and ultimately location. Definitely not to be considered lightly. Charmaine, for instance, made me think of Charlemagne, a powerful ruler. Besides the sound and meaning of given names, I think word origins in general and surnames in particular are especially interesting. Surnames were an attempt to define more exactly who you were and where you were from or what your trade was ... Jesus of Nazareth and Tess of the d'Ubervilles came immediately to mind for some reason, then I started thinking of Juniors, II's, III's, and ultimately kings and popes with a first name and a number to help distinguish one from another. Native Americans and slaves in our country didn't historically have official surnames. Once they became necessary, they were chosen on the basis of place, ownership, trade skill, or simple preference. I've often wondered how our family, in particular, got from Neswasobee to Dophena to Duffina in three generations ... Anonymous is also interesting, from its ironical use in Hesse's Glass Bead Game to public bathroom walls and now social media. Getting the idea out there w/o claiming credit for it ... So much to explore. So little time for the pursuit, even if given a long lifetime. Glad you're finally making and finding time to explore as many as possible of the tangents you and your mind consider intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last names are another whole story! I don't think I'll be giving my characters last names, at least at this point. That is interesting, though, about how our family's last names have changed over the generations.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Some of these are very surprising, I love Patrick Rothfuss! Cool or know you had read those books too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Yes, I really enjoyed Name of the Wind. I listened to it on podcast, which was just incredible. I can't wait for the next one to come out!

      Delete